Thursday, June 20, 2013

DIY NO SEW Doggie Beds!

If you have a dog or dogs... you probably know by now that dog beds are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive.  The bigger the dog, the more expensive. We have FOUR medium to large dogs and honestly, as often as you have to wash or replace the beds, I can't afford $50-$100 for a dog bed for EACH dog.  I looked around on Pinterest and found this great tutorial....



I decided to modify it for myself and my dogs (much bigger than this dog).

Bear (and all my dogs) love this bed!


You will need...

  1. Scissors
  2. Fleece blankets or fleece material bought at your local fabric store.
    • I bought my fleece blankets at Fred's for $4.00 each... But I have found a TON of cheap fleece remnants in all colors at Hancock Fabrics.... they also have tons of cute patterns on them.  
    • This will allow you to pick out your own style. No more UGLY dog beds!!!
    • http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Fleece_stcVVcatId537261VVviewcat.htm
  3. Old scrap material, old clothes you can't wear (holey t-shirts, etc.), or I went and bought $3.00 pillows at WalMart... super cheap and easy to use!
That is it... Scissors, Fabric (I used a single $4.00 fleece blanket I bought from Fred's and for another I used an old fleece blanket from WalMart that my dogs had already had smelling like hounds!), and something to stuff them with!

Step 1:   Take the blanket (or material or fleece) and cut it to the size (and shape) that you want.
I just took the $4.00 blanket and folded in half to save myself some cutting!  But it all depends... bigger if your dog spreads out... You know your dog... make it to fit! 




Step 2:   Begin cutting slits around the edge of the material.  About 3 to 4 inches long (long enough to tie together later). 

Cut slits all the way around the material. (if you fold in half, you only have to cut slits on 3 sides.)  


Step 3:   Start tying all the pieces together. You will tie in a knot (easiest method... but there are other methods you can google). You will either have the material folded over and tie together, or you can lay one piece on the other and begin tying the slits together (aka no sew). 

Make sure that you don't tie all sides until we stuff it!

Step 4:  Stuff your bed.  Take your stuffing material (t-shirts, old blankets, stuffing, or cheap pillows) and put it in the place you left open on your bed.  Don't over-stuff!

Step 5:  After you have it stuffed, finish tying your pieces together.

Below are some DIY No Sew dog beds I found online... you can get some ideas!



  







1 comment: